Investigating hooking up a heartbeat monitor to Processing
- A heart rate sensor – I used this PulseSensor one
- An Arduino – I used a Diecimilia
- A laptop running a Processing sketch that listen to the USB port (where I’ve plugged in my Arduino) and sucks in any data that arrives (see the helpful sparkfun tutorial).
I like music, but I can’t play an instrument. I also like cakes and own an Arduino. So I put them all together to make a Cake Orchestra: a snack interface for music.
- Light-dependent resistors (LDRs)
- Ordinary resistors & connecting wire
- Computer running Processing
- Soundcipher Processing library
The very first things we need to talk about are Cake objects. Objects are simply arbitrary collections of variables and functions, and they are defined in classes. More
Coding is nothing more than telling a computer what to do to achieve your creative goal. It’s rather like deciding to bake a fabulous cake using a rather stupid robot. You have to assemble all your ingredients and equipment, then tell the Rather Stupid Cake Robot exactly what to do with each thing to make your cake.
I been running a series of online / IRL courses helping people to learn Creative Coding using Processing.
I’ve found that the use of metaphors can really help people get their heads around the weirder bits of learning to code.
But what about metaphors for coding as a whole? Should I go lego, marbles or cakes? More